Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yibi Hu fucking depresses me but I can't stop watching his videos



Artist, animator and filmmaker Yibi Hu develops short films and also concepts and advertisements for television (BBC, CBBC, and the 2008 Beijing Olympics Channel).

Hu developed an amazing short film entitled Josie's Lalaland which was inspired by Josie Grove, a 16 year old Lukemia patient.

"I first heard about a 14-year-old girl who was a blood cancer patient from one of my friends over in Asia. After 4 years of life in a hospital she stopped treatment and I was deeply moved by the girl's courage.I began to research children who are in the same situation as her and one day I read the story of Josie Grove in the newspaper. Josie was 16-years old and had been a leukemia patient for many years. She had two bone marrow transplants and a course of anti-cancer drugs, all of which were unsuccessful in beating Josie's cancer. When Josie was told that her condition was terminal she decided not to undertake any further treatment and went home to reunite with her family and enjoy a normal teenage life for her last 3 months. Not only because of similarity of two stories, but also the courage of these two different young individuals, I was inspired to create something that would capture such a spirit."

To view this artists amazing portfolio, click here Incredibly beautiful, imaginative and magical, Josie's Lalaland has a run time of just over 3 1/2 minutes.  I was also deeply moved by Lucky... that's right. Deeply. Moved.  On a lighter note, be sure to check out A Day At Dunjanez.

Pictured below: A screen shot from A Day At Dunjanez. Who knew a portaloo could be a spot for sweet romance?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Worth Seeing ~ Inappropriate & Otherwise